Do employees who are required to look after their elderly or infirmed family members have the same rights as those with children?
Yes. The Human Rights Code protects discrimination against family status, which includes individuals providing eldercare for ailing parents. People who provide care to spouses with disabilities are entitled to accommodation based on marital status.
What measures has the Federal Government put in place to assist during the COVID-19 epidemic?
On March 18, 2020, the government announced an $82 billion aid/stimulus package of which $27 billion is intended to support individuals and businesses:
- Eliminating the one-week waiting period for EI sickness benefits for a maximum of 15 weeks of benefits up to $573/week for individuals who are sick, quarantined due to coronavirus or asked to self-isolate by their employers. The government has also removed the requirement for a doctor’s note for this assistance;
- Small businesses have access to a 10% wage subsidy for 90 days, up to a max of $1,375 per employee and $25,000 per employer;
- Introduction of an emergency care benefit of up to $900 bi-weekly for up to 15 weeks for individuals who have to stay home and do not have paid sick leave or are ineligible for employment insurance and are ill, or are caring for a child or someone who is sick;
- Support workers facing unemployment have access to a $5 billion emergency support benefit through the CRA;
- Extending the tax filing deadline for individuals from April 30 to June 1, 2020, and deferring payments until after August 31, 2020.
For all coronavirus related issues, call us now at 416-594-3900 or complete this form.
No one should act, or refrain from acting, based solely upon the materials provided on this website, any hypertext links or other general information without first seeking appropriate legal or other professional advice.
Accessing or using this web site does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Although your use of the web site may facilitate access to or communications with members of Levitt LLP via e-mail transmissions, receipt of any such communications or transmissions by any member of Levitt LLP does not create a lawyer-client relationship.