About Tatha Swann:
Tatha helps employees negotiate employment contracts and severance packages, and negotiates and litigates cases involving wrongful dismissal, constructive dismissal, harassment, discrimination and employment standards claims.
In 2015, Tatha was honoured to represent noted chef Kate Burnham in her complaint against a well-known restaurant in Toronto that made local, national and international news, generating industry-wide buzz on harassment and abuse in the restaurant industry.
When handling matters for employer clients, she focuses on reducing risk, minimizing any potential liability and crafting practical solutions to the employment issues every business faces.
Her work with both unionized and non-union employers includes preparing or modifying employment agreements and policies. She helps to ensure the agreements and policies will survive scrutiny, will be easy to implement and will ensure fair and predictable practices while preserving maximum flexibility for the employer.
Tatha also assists in employee discipline and termination, and provides guidance on conducting workplace investigations in a cost-effective but thorough manner.
Before becoming a lawyer, she studied architecture at the University of Waterloo and worked for several well-known architecture firms specializing in hospital design. Prior to joining Levitt LLP, she worked for an international law firm and worked with top litigators in management-side employment and labour law.
Practice areas include:
- Defending employers from Applications for Certification by Unions
- Commencing/defending Human Rights Applications
- Advising employers on discipline/termination
- Commencing/defending wrongful dismissal actions and claims for short/long term benefits
- Reviewing severance packages
Memberships & Associations:
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE)
- Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA)
- Ontario and Canadian Bar Associations
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Advocates’ Society
Tatha in the Media:
Back To Our Team